DG - Hot Take #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DG - Hot Take #2

It's another week and therefore time for a new HOT TAKE!

What is a HOT TAKE? A HOT TAKE is a bold, maybe even stupid or super smart claim which can be voted for (or against) but -of course- discussed about!

So, Hot Take #2

"David Gilmour might be a good guitarist but just has no composing skills whatsoever"
    1 - Come on, is this Roger writing? His latest works are wonderful and timeless!
    34.04%
    2 - Maybe he need a lot of support texting but is instrumental compositions are very good!
    34.04%
    3 - Might be true, even it's tough to swallow
    6.38%
    4 - There is a reason why PF works so well as a band and his Solo albums are mediocre
    23.40%
    5 - The girl in the yellow dress
    2.13%
    FINGAL‘S CAVE: A Podcast for all dedicated Pink Floyd Fans

Available here:
    Youtube
    Apple Podcast
    Amazon Music
    Spotify
    Deezer
    Facebook

I voted 2, though you do have a point about The Girl in the Yellow Dress.

Comment

…and the train station jingle.

Comment

What a perfect piece of silliness for his Birthday No DG there would have been no 70's classic Floyd, much as that may annoy Rog, I think I first fell in love to Floyd specifically because of those beautiful guitar sounds. Happy Birthday Dave.

Comment

How many sole writing credits does he have to his name before the band broke up? I think its 5 or 6. There is a reason he had to have his wife write for him.

I was 7 years old when AMLOR came out and I remember how excited my mother was about it. I also remember how very disappointed I was with it. Ive been collecting Floyd boots for 25 years and to this day still dont have post Waters boots.

Comment

I voted 4, although what's wrong with The Girl in the Yellow Dress specifically?
            Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
            Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
            Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
            Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

Originally posted by daemonspudguy View Post
              I voted 4, although what's wrong with The Girl in the Yellow Dress specifically?
              ehm...nothing ?
              FINGAL‘S CAVE: A Podcast for all dedicated Pink Floyd Fans

Available here:
              Youtube
              Apple Podcast
              Amazon Music
              Spotify
              Deezer
              Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny12 View Post

ehm...nothing ?

Everyone should give this a listen:

http://floydpodcast.com/deja-vu-2/
                Last edited by mooncusser; 03-07-2023, 06:50 PM.
                I am you and what I see is me.

Comment

#4 is in line with the way I think of David.
                  Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

Well, obviously it's all subjective and personal taste. But I find that track dull and derivative. I couldn't see what he could add or what he got from a faux jazz number. It highlights none of his strengths and does not add anything to that genre.

But I do think he's generally a good enough composer of music, which is what this hot take is about, not lyric writing.
                    Last edited by Son of Nothing; 03-07-2023, 11:04 AM.

Comment

i voted 4 by mistake, should've been 2. his solo albums are mediocre versus pink floyd albums, which is a tough metric to measure up to. i would've chosen 1 because his writing/composing is wonderful, however "timeless" is something else entirely. 'meddle' 'DSotM' and 'wish you were here' are timeless...

i'd love for david and roger to trade albums (in the "updating wars" that they've begun), roger to write some lyrics for david's music, david to write new music for roger's words. the first dg album could use better lyrics (i'm good with all david's other efforts), and 'pros and cons' and 'kaos' could definitely use some better music...

edit to clarify: 'amused to death' is a great album by roger, though not timeless. and 'the division bell' is a great album by david (and co.), though not timeless, either. all of david's and roger's (and rick's and nick's) solo albums are mediocre compared to the best floyd ones.
                      Last edited by geoffers; 03-07-2023, 10:06 PM.
                      ...Raving and Drooling I fell on my Arse with a Squelch...

Comment

David is a good composer but honestly kinda crap at lyrics. Roger's composing skills aren't as good (they are still good imho) but his lyric writing is just better.

Comment

David is a good composer but honestly kinda crap at lyrics. Roger's composing skills aren't as good (they are still good imho) but his lyric writing is just better.
                          And since I'm honestly more of a music guy than a lyric guy, that would explain my affinity to David.
                          Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

This is a little off-topic, but it's something I've seen a lot of people use as an example of Roger not being good at bass, that being One Of These Days, which, of all songs that feature Dave on bass, is probably the worst example to possibly used, as the whole point of that piece conceptually was to have the two basslines playing in sync. It was studio tinkering, that's what they were doing.

Comment

Working...
                            X