Daily Doug - Reaction videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Son of Nothing View Post

No disrespect to your choice (or even those who like the Daily Doug), but Rick Beato rubs me up the wrong way even more than Doug. But maybe I'm misremembering, based on the last one of his I ever watched, which might have been my mistake. Because it mightn't have been a reaction / analysis but rather a general discussion thing that just went nowhere and rambled on. And that biased me. Call me naive, but these channels are more about their hosts as performers and personal brands rather than about the music they purport to be reacting to. Just call me old-fashioned.
    It's all good, not everybody likes everybody. I do agree that a lot of channels are as you say but I generally subscribe to his opinion about the state of music overall. He really is just a very knowledgeable musician in general.
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Nothing View Post

No disrespect to your choice (or even those who like the Daily Doug), but Rick Beato rubs me up the wrong way even more than Doug. But maybe I'm misremembering, based on the last one of his I ever watched, which might have been my mistake. Because it mightn't have been a reaction / analysis but rather a general discussion thing that just went nowhere and rambled on. And that biased me. Call me naive, but these channels are more about their hosts as performers and personal brands rather than about the music they purport to be reacting to. Just call me old-fashioned.
      He is a former record producer but makes it clear upfront that he makes his living these days from his Youtube channel and selling his teaching products. He is mostly guitar orientated and gravitates towards that approach but I'll agree that some of his videos are a little rambling. However his appreciation for "All Things Music" does come through with his enthusiasm and passion. The way he dissects songs is very enjoyable but can be off-putting as he gets rather technical at times.

For a more "serene" channel, check out twoodfrd. Guitar builder up in Canada that very calmly walks through repairing guitars and has a very soothing voice.
      For every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch. Three if you're on the Interstate. - Derek Bieri, Vice Grip Garage

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
      PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
      Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
      Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
      Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Originally posted by gotta_be_crazy View Post

Well, some of these guys have reacted to Pompeii which is something on its own, not that common as the reaction to the classic albums. If I don't remember wrong, this guy Doug reacted to Piper.

EDIT = not Piper, but he did AHM:

https://youtu.be/wGKpV7V0Tc8
        Great to hear that. My point being that many of these videos don't dig too deep into an artists catalog. "Hey I'm going to do AC/DC's Back in Black!".
        For every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch. Three if you're on the Interstate. - Derek Bieri, Vice Grip Garage

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
        PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
        Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
        Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
        Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Originally posted by MrFender View Post

Great to hear that. My point being that many of these videos don't dig too deep into an artists catalog. "Hey I'm going to do AC/DC's Back in Black!".
          I know. They won't go trhough ASoS or More , but there's one guy, called POPE, who reacted to some of the early stuff.
          If an act of empathy is considered somehow as something radical, we're living in dangerous times.

Pink Floyd tradelist // Oasis tradelist

Comment

I sent a DM to Amy and asked her to review Echoes. We'll see if she ever gets to it.
            Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

Originally posted by aybesea View Post
              I sent a DM to Amy and asked her to review Echoes. We'll see if she ever gets to it.
              hope she does the pompeii version!
              If an act of empathy is considered somehow as something radical, we're living in dangerous times.

Pink Floyd tradelist // Oasis tradelist

Comment

Happen to watch Rick Beato's videos sometimes... I don't often agree with his own music tastes/choices, but tastes are subjective. And sometimes I struggle to understand some of the music theory he explains, without any success of course because I play "by ears" since my childhood and I am happy and comfortable just this way... If I had to think about notes' names and music theory rules, playing an instrument would not be pleasant and relaxing anymore but it would be just stressful.
                But, it happens that Beato is one of the few I am able to understand what he is saying without needing to enable (english) automatic subtitles, then I find him just great to make some ear training about english language! LOL! 😁

Comment

Working...
                X