Daily Doug - Reaction videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Doug - Reaction videos

I don't know if anybody watches reaction videos, but Doug is a trained classical composer that has done quite a few Floyd related shows that I find entertaining. He occasionally has a little toot of something before hand. His most recent is Set The Controls : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KEUPJ15AF8

I watched quite a few and liked them a lot…but soon i somehow felt being fooled. Some reactions are so much over the top that it can‘t be a genuine reaction. And i just can‘t believe that a 40-50 year old guy NEVER heard Comfortably Number before. A a rapper crying at Dogs…was also too much for me :rolleyes:

Best
    Nils
    FINGAL‘S CAVE: A Podcast for all dedicated Pink Floyd Fans

Available here:
    Youtube
    Apple Podcast
    Amazon Music
    Spotify
    Deezer
    Facebook

Comment

The reactors sort of feel like an odd little community. It's interesting how you can see a lot of them reacting to the same set of songs/bands right around the same time, Also like they're trying to tell us what they think we want to hear, which is of course gushing over our heroes etc. so that we can nod approvingly etc.

I did enjoy them as well, but much like you Nils, started to wonder about the authenticity.

Comment

Yes, I watch a lot of his stuff. Also Verdy Channel, Rick Beato, and Justin Hawkins Rides Again. I disagree with a lot of the commenters on Doug's Ummagumma videos though!

With the exception of Verdy, they add value with analysis. That's what I'm interested in - teaching me something new, especially music theory.
        Last edited by Frankymole; 02-27-2023, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Rick Beato is one that every music lover needs to check out. He covers everything from rock to metal to classical. Great interview with Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) about his production work.
          Last edited by MrFender; 02-27-2023, 10:50 AM.
          For every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch. Three if you're on the Interstate. - Derek Bieri, Vice Grip Garage

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
          PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
          Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
          Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
          Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny12 View Post
            I watched quite a few and liked them a lot…but soon i somehow felt being fooled. Some reactions are so much over the top that it can‘t be a genuine reaction. And i just can‘t believe that a 40-50 year old guy NEVER heard Comfortably Number before. A a rapper crying at Dogs…was also too much for me :rolleyes:

Best
            Nils
            Exactly the same happened to me. Too much over-acting for the sake of likes to be enjoyable or believable.

The only "reactions" channel I still enjoy is that of the Pakistani people reacting to western music and objects, from Johnny Cash to Metallica, from Baskin Robbins to Bob Ross... They seem more natural and sincere. https://www.youtube.com/@TRYBALS/videos

And yes, they have a Wish Yo Were Here (Pulse) reaction video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dd8M5PmDJM

Comment

I like to watch these videos, but yeah in most cases I know they are acting. I like this girl now:

https://www.youtube.com/@VirginRock/videos

She's running an in depth analysis of The Wall, very interesting. She's a classical player, she comes from another musical scene but her analysis is very rich.
              If an act of empathy is considered somehow as something radical, we're living in dangerous times.

Pink Floyd tradelist // Oasis tradelist

Comment

Originally posted by ruben77 View Post
                Exactly the same happened to me. Too much over-acting for the sake of likes to be enjoyable or believable.
                I'm with both of you on this one. I like the idea of Doug, and I've watched quite a few. But after most of them I feel like that's half an hour (or whatever the actual length) of my life I won't get back. The potential there is so good, especially from someone with a stronger music theoretical background. But I just find what analysis there is is outweighed by the extra trite commentary and general fluff. And to me it doesn't come off as authentic either.

Comment

I've never watched Doug, but I have seen Amy. Her treatise on Frank Zappa's Peaches en Raglia was a hoot!
                  Last edited by aybesea; 02-27-2023, 12:27 PM.
                  Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

Some reactions are so much over the top that it can‘t be a genuine reaction. And i just can‘t believe that a 40-50 year old guy NEVER heard Comfortably Number before
                    indeed, that someone who is a musician at his age and it seems he never listened to quite anything out there is very difficult to believe.
                    in particular, being him a classical musician, it's difficult to believe he never listened to any 70's prog rock which was related also to classical music.

Comment

Best
                      Nils
                      I'm guilty of succumbing to some of these videos. I feel the exact same as you. I could go a lot further in this discussion but I don't want to get banned, I just got here lol. But yeah, I only check out two music focused channels these days and one of them is Rick Beato's channel as I really like him. For reaction videos (which I universally despise) I like Alex & Andy, who are young college kids and I enjoy hearing the perspective of that young demographic to music I love. They are least feel like genuine reactions.
                      Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

Originally posted by gotta_be_crazy View Post
                        I like to watch these videos, but yeah in most cases I know they are acting. I like this girl now:

https://www.youtube.com/@VirginRock/videos

She's running an in depth analysis of The Wall, very interesting. She's a classical player, she comes from another musical scene but her analysis is very rich.
                        I've seen this woman before, she's quite thoughtful and believable, or I'm just gullible, which could also be true lol
                        Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Comment

When they start doing reaction videos to The Gnome or Nile Song, give me a call.
                          For every mile of road, there's two miles of ditch. Three if you're on the Interstate. - Derek Bieri, Vice Grip Garage

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
                          PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
                          Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
                          Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
                          Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Originally posted by buffalofloyd View Post
                            one of them is Rick Beato's channel as I really like him.
                            No disrespect to your choice (or even those who like the Daily Doug), but Rick Beato rubs me up the wrong way even more than Doug. But maybe I'm misremembering, based on the last one of his I ever watched, which might have been my mistake. Because it mightn't have been a reaction / analysis but rather a general discussion thing that just went nowhere and rambled on. And that biased me. Call me naive, but these channels are more about their hosts as performers and personal brands rather than about the music they purport to be reacting to. Just call me old-fashioned.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFender View Post
                              When they start doing reaction videos to The Gnome or Nile Song, give me a call.
                              Well, some of these guys have reacted to Pompeii which is something on its own, not that common as the reaction to the classic albums. If I don't remember wrong, this guy Doug reacted to Piper.

EDIT = not Piper, but he did AHM:

https://youtu.be/wGKpV7V0Tc8
                              If an act of empathy is considered somehow as something radical, we're living in dangerous times.

Pink Floyd tradelist // Oasis tradelist

Comment

Working...
                              X