This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the song Moonhead

I recently rediscovered the song moonhead. It led me to this article. or was it the other way around? not sure, i'm high on some homegrown shit. the article is a bit old but it was new to me and therefore it may be new to some of you.

anyway, i'll be playing the song befor darkside now. i believe it represents roger's burgeoning hatred of the system and the absurdity of the costs outlay necessary to deliver people to the moon. pink floyd ceased to be spacey from that point forward.

thoughts?
    A bluesy, atmospheric piece that the band improvised live on the air during the Apollo 11 mission deserves to be more than a footnote of musical history.

Originally posted by CosmicWanderer View Post
    i'm high on some homegrown shit.
    🤩

that said, I am listening to Birmingham feb 11th, 1970 gig right now and moonhead, even if the live version, started just while I was reading your post.

thanks for sharing this, never seen it before and, indeed, this song is hystorically important, IMO... you don't happen so often to play a new song live on TV while they are going to land on the moon!

Comment

Great article, thanks for posting the link

Comment

Interesting, thanks!
        We were all on the same page

TBS14

Comment

One of my favorites. Wish there was a better sounding version of it.

Comment

Originally posted by embryonicmadness View Post
            One of my favorites. Wish there was a better sounding version of it.
            Here is a new stereo mix I did of Moonhead with the version Prof Stoned just put out, It turned out pretty well, his version was pretty clean and I was able to extract enough stems to create a realistic stereo image out of it.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao1OYH3FKarBnIsU...TA?e=JDrdz9​

Comment

• embryonicmadness
              embryonicmadness commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you. Sounds great. The one I always listened to was the one on Youtube (BBC verison). I always thought that one sounded better than the ones I found on Yeeshkul. Never was about to find the source for it. This one sounds very clear and airy.

• Anredeon
              Anredeon commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you indeed Swanlee. My first download on R&D and it sounds awesome. I simply love Ricks ´69 Farfisa. I could listen for hours.

Thank you for this, swanlee! I like your idea and your effort is quite exciting.
            For some reason I completely missed that Prof. Stoned version of the BBC Sessions.
            And particularly his version of Moonhead is a hell of a restoration, I think.
            I've been loving that song for years now and I've been biting my teeth out on restoring this mystic masterpiece as long I have access to restoring technology.
            He finally made an enjoyable remaster of it.
            Stereoizing it is a logical consequence...

Comment

Originally posted by swanlee View Post

Here is a new stereo mix I did of Moonhead with the version Prof Stoned just put out, It turned out pretty well, his version was pretty clean and I was able to extract enough stems to create a realistic stereo image out of it.
              awesome, thank you. can't wait to smoke out and listen to it later.

Comment

Originally posted by creamcheese View Post
                For some reason I completely missed that Prof. Stoned version of the BBC Sessions...
                i think it was a pretty recent thing. i'm not done fully digesting it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by vince666 View Post
                  , I am listening to Birmingham feb 11th, 1970 gig right now and moonhead, even if the live version, started just while I was reading your post.
                  i also thought that bit, those series of songs, was the embryo (ha) of the dark side of the moon especially since violent sequence is in there too.

Comment

Excellent Stereo remix, swanlee! What programs did you use to extract and mix? Very psychedelic with headphones.

Comment

Originally posted by n8sterII View Post
                      Excellent Stereo remix, swanlee! What programs did you use to extract and mix? Very psychedelic with headphones.
                      I use RIPX to create the stems for each instrument/Vocal track and audacity to mix the seperate tracks into stereo and then adobe audition for a little stereo widening. I've completed all of the Prof stoned/Hallucination BBC sessions to have All PF BBC sessions remixed in stereo. It's up to 41 songs 1967-1971

I plan to try Demix Pro on stem creation as RIPX works good but I think the stems can be extracted a little better. I may eventually use both programs to create double digit amount of stems for each song which makes mixing into stereo much easier. Izotope also has the ability to extract stems but their solution is a little behind the dedicated programs that do this

I'm still going to tweak about 5 or 6 tracks out of the 41 BBC tracks, as my first attempt on those tracks was not good enough, I will eventually post the complete sessions here once I'm happy with all the tracks,

Comment

• aybesea
                        aybesea commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Will you be posting the stereo PS BBC once we get the uploads working (hint hint)?

Thank you very much, swanlee!
                      I really like it!

Comment

Originally posted by swanlee View Post

I use RIPX to create the stems for each instrument/Vocal track and audacity to mix the seperate tracks into stereo and then adobe audition for a little stereo widening. I've completed all of the Prof stoned/Hallucination BBC sessions to have All PF BBC sessions remixed in stereo. It's up to 41 songs 1967-1971

I plan to try Demix Pro on stem creation as RIPX works good but I think the stems can be extracted a little better. I may eventually use both programs to create double digit amount of stems for each song which makes mixing into stereo much easier. Izotope also has the ability to extract stems but their solution is a little behind the dedicated programs that do this

I'm still going to tweak about 5 or 6 tracks out of the 41 BBC tracks, as my first attempt on those tracks was not good enough, I will eventually post the complete sessions here once I'm happy with all the tracks,
                        Very cool. Amazing how this stuff has come along in the past few years or so. Looking forward to hearing how your BBC remixes turn out.

Comment

I could be wrong, but aren't all versions of Moonhead taken from home recordings. I recall one sounding a bit dark, with some room ambience evident. I assume it was recorded with a mic set up pointing at a TV speaker?

Comment

Working...
                          X