Floyd knowledge in the wild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floyd knowledge in the wild

I was eating breakfast at a cafe with my family this morning, and an older group of people sat at the table next to us. I happened to overhear one of the guys telling the other two about how all the kids used to listen to Radio Luxembourg (RTL) in Europe back in the day, and of course, I know what that is thanks to this community, and start thinking about how I want to listen to either St. Ouen 1972 or Paris 1970 when I get home. I regularly have little moments where I overhear things like this, and smile because I know of it via Pink Floyd. I am sure this happens to many of us, and thought it would be a fun idea for a thread. What are some of your experiences like this?

I remember listening to Radio Luxembourg as a kid in the 60s. In the UK, until 1967, we only had the BBC Light Programme which played mostly 'dance band music' plus a bit of 'popular music'. We used to listen to Luxembourg at night in bed. I think it might have been FM in Europe but, in the UK, it was strictly AM so the sound drifted in and out - one minute you'd have crystal-clear sound then it would slide into nothing but static. They broadcast two Grateful Dead shows - one in 1972 from Luxembourg itself; and one in 1973, a recording of a show i n the US. I recorded them both. Bob Weir.... "And a great big hello to all our friends in California where it's...... kkkkshhhhhssshhhhh". Oh well.

Edit - sorry, just realised that that's not the point of the thread "Floyd knowledge in the wild"
    Last edited by Simond; 02-26-2023, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Simond : regardless if it's the point of the thread or not, I enjoyed your post! It sort of recalled me about a funny movie of a few years ago I truly enjoyed (movie "I Love Radio Rock") , even if the movie was inspired to Radio Caroline. But it's funny to think about your generation when the national BBC radio didn't broadcast the "new" music and you had to rely on just one alternative radio.
      When I was a child and used to often listen to the radio (from late 70s to mid-late 80s) , there were just any sorts of radios which broadcasted just anything you might think about, then I never really used to follow just one radio station in particular, but I was simply "zapping" between them all.

Comment

Hi Vince. Yes, it's funny thinking back to those days. Until 1967, we just had our parents' BBC radio shows. From, I don't know, 1966? we had Radio Caroline (North) which was pretty much like it's portrayed in the film 'The Boat That Rocked'. We had small transistor radios, about the size of the palm of your hand, and pressed them against the windows of the school bus (for better reception) to hear Radio Caroline on our way to and from school. It's hard to imagine now with so much choice around. Radio Caroline and Radio Luxembourg.

Anyway, getting back to the point of this thread (and I apologise for repeating a story I posted on Y!). Floyd knowledge in the wild? Imagine sitting in a bar with friends, having a beer or two, and hearing the guys talking at the next table, also drinking pints of beer. Then you realise that the guys at the next table are Dave, Rick, Nick, Roger and Alan (?). That was Lancaster University 1971. I hate to be the guy who keeps saying "I saw them when…." but there don't seem to be many members of this parish who did see them when.....

I wish there were others here, who saw them in the 60s and early 70s, who’d share their memories.
        Last edited by Simond; 02-26-2023, 10:09 PM.

Comment

I remember the first time I listened to the (Kid) Jensen's Dimensions show on Radio Luxembourg which was on late at night. I fell asleep for a while and woke up with a start to the organ solo in Uriah Heep's Gypsy and nearly freaked out …
          Last edited by johnjohnstone; 02-27-2023, 07:22 AM.

Comment

My ingrained Floyd knowledge in the wild is generally put to good use in pointing out where slightly obscure venues or places are. Last occurrence was when Trentham Gardens venue appeared on TV. Having pointed out this was in Stoke-on-Trent, the urge to follow through with '...and Pink Floyd played there on 19 November 1974' was too great to resist.

Comment

Originally posted by Journey Man View Post
              My ingrained Floyd knowledge in the wild is generally put to good use in pointing out where slightly obscure venues or places are. Last occurrence was when Trentham Gardens venue appeared on TV. Having pointed out this was in Stoke-on-Trent, the urge to follow through with '...and Pink Floyd played there on 19 November 1974' was too great to resist.
              Kind of a similar thing for me. Reading about these recordings growing up was a great way to learn about geography, especially in the UK and Europe. Not only did I know the capitals, but I also knew where Brighton, Manchester, Stoke, Stuttgart, Lyon, Ibiza, Saarbrucken, etc etc were. Names of rivers, local landmarks… lots of things. I’ve learned a lot about cultural differences as well as historical things. Most Americans don’t know about “The Troubles” for instance. But at 17 I knew all about that because it was the reason venue security was so tight on the 1974 tour, resulting in not as many recordings as you would expect. I also learned what rhythmic clapping means when an audience does it in different European countries. Not always a good thing! Haha

For American stuff, it helps too. I had a conversation a while back and the other person mentioned seeing a Marilyn Manson concert at home. I knew she was from Long Island….
              “Oh, you must have seen him at Nassau Colliseum, right?”

surprised expression “yeah! You’ve been there?”

”nope!” Haha
              Last edited by lennyif; 02-27-2023, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Simond View Post
                Anyway, getting back to the point of this thread (and I apologise for repeating a story I posted on Y!). Floyd knowledge in the wild? Imagine sitting in a bar with friends, having a beer or two, and hearing the guys talking at the next table, also drinking pints of beer. Then you realise that the guys at the next table are Dave, Rick, Nick, Roger and Alan (?). That was Lancaster University 1971. I hate to be the guy who keeps saying "I saw them when…." but there don't seem to be many members of this parish who did see them when.....
                But that's a super cool story!

Comment

I'm old enough to have seen Gilmour-era Floyd but not classic era Floyd.

By a very happy coincidence, I happened to be in Vancouver the same week Roger played there on TINAD.

I had a bar conversation with someone a few nights before the show. turns out they were at the '75 Ivor Wynne show and remembered it clearly. That was one of the first boots I ever had (on vinyl, no less) and also remembered it pretty clearly. To our joint amusement, we were able to reminisce together about a show I hadn't actually attended...

Comment

After the Cowdray Ruins show in 1993, I managed to get backstage, and someone was kind enough to provide me with a pass, so I was (relative) safe.
                    Walking around, I suddenly walked into Mr Nick Mason..... Foolishly, the only question I could come up with was: Are you Nick Mason?
                    I must have looked like a idiot.... Happily, the very small scale of the event ensured he was a good sport, laughed at me and confirmed his identify ;-) I probably would have gotten kicked out at one of their stadium shows...

Comment

Working...
                    X