Will we also have a tracker here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will we also have a tracker here?

I'm wondering if the partnership with Traders Den will affect any potential trackers here.
    Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
    Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
    Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
    Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Having a tracker here puts this site at risk, so probably not.

Comment

one thing, and perhaps you have some hints or trick to browse through the new torrents from The Trader's Den and quickly see if a torrent is "really really" new.
      I will explain :
      I'm on TTD since years, and when I'm log in, I can see the new torrent.
      But if a comment has been posted on a torrent, then the torrent is in bold again as something new.
      Then, there is the reseed of an existing torrent (for instance on Y!, sometimes some torrents were posted at Y! and TTD)
      Thus, when I log at the TTD, I saw a Jimfisheye torrent Théâtre des Champs-Elysées Paris 1970. I thought that it was the complete FM broadcast! almost had an heart attack.
      In fact, it's just the partial FM broadcast and the amazing complete recording. To tell the truth, the VIP mix by Jimfisheye is one of the most daring and amazing mix I have never heard so far. I'm still wondering how he did it.

Will there be a way to quickly ID if something new from Jimfisheye is shared at the TTD ? will the seeder be Jim at TTD or someone else ?
      Perhaps there is a way to do an index of the new torrents which are not a reseed but something new, "post-Y! era" ? - just an updated list would be great.

In a nutshell it's a little bit like the new zappateers tracker; I have to read the complete torrent description to clearly see if this is a reseed from the old zappateers or a really new stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post
        Having a tracker here puts this site at risk, so probably not.
        Is that confirmed anyone ? Whilst I am a member on TTD I have to admit I struggle at times to maintain a decent ratio there. I assume they don't have a seed points system similar to Yeeshkul. By the time I am seeding on TTD, there arn't enough leechers to help with my ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by joeblade View Post

Is that confirmed anyone ? Whilst I am a member on TTD I have to admit I struggle at times to maintain a decent ratio there. I assume they don't have a seed points system similar to Yeeshkul. By the time I am seeding on TTD, there arn't enough leechers to help with my ratio.
          This is correct for the time being. There are obstacles to having a dedicated tracker here. The arrangement with TTD is a compromise. TTD does not have a seed points system but I also don't know that they enforce a strict share ratio.
          I am you and what I see is me.

Comment

Originally posted by mooncusser View Post

This is correct for the time being. There are obstacles to having a dedicated tracker here. The arrangement with TTD is a compromise. TTD does not have a seed points system but I also don't know that they enforce a strict share ratio.
            From what I can see, they are "ratio-free" in that you can still download. The penalty for a bad ratio (other than disregard for your fellow torrentors) is that you are capped on how many downloads per day.

I decided to see how difficult it is to maintain ratio there. To wit, I 1) went to the top of the new torrents page, 2) downloaded every torrent from the last 24 hours, 3) let them seed back. Within several hours I had seeded back way, way more (maybe 3-5 times) the amount of my DLs and built up buffer. Honestly, this is a pretty easy tracker to build buffer on. What you don't want to do is only find obscure torrents from months ago and download only those... that will ensure that you never build buffer. Instead, work with the new stuff that is popular now until you've got that cushion. Then torrent away.
            Off surfing with Linda, of course...

Comment

I think they are coming up with some tips on how to seed some of the Y! content on TTD with the announcement of the show in this forum.

If you have the torrent file you could be the first seeder of it on TTD and get a good ratio that way.

Comment

Originally posted by daemonspudguy View Post
                I'm wondering if the partnership with Traders Den will affect any potential trackers here.
                I hope not. TTD is great, but more restrictive in terms of available quality, as well as different allowed standards. I see a tracker here as essential to truly recreate the old purpose/experience.
                Last edited by jaman57; 03-02-2023, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aybesea View Post

From what I can see, they are "ratio-free" in that you can still download. The penalty for a bad ratio (other than disregard for your fellow torrentors) is that you are capped on how many downloads per day.

I decided to see how difficult it is to maintain ratio there. To wit, I 1) went to the top of the new torrents page, 2) downloaded every torrent from the last 24 hours, 3) let them seed back. Within several hours I had seeded back way, way more (maybe 3-5 times) the amount of my DLs and built up buffer. Honestly, this is a pretty easy tracker to build buffer on. What you don't want to do is only find obscure torrents from months ago and download only those... that will ensure that you never build buffer. Instead, work with the new stuff that is popular now until you've got that cushion. Then torrent away.
                  This is good advice right here but ill add that when downloading old torrents, just leaving them up to get your ratio back work well. I only visit TTD a couple of times a year and grab everything I want yet my ratio is 1.5 there. It might take a couple of weeks seeding but it always comes back.

Comment

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is TTD?

Edited to add: Thanks, Journey Man!
                    Last edited by Frankymole; 03-02-2023, 05:54 PM. Reason: Thanks to Journey Man for comment

Comment

Yeah, someone rattle my cage when the tracker and torrents are working. Be that here or wherever it lands.

I'm not on TTD, archive, or any of the other Deadhead related places. Not my thing. I was on Dime for a spell. I have to say there was always a rabbit hole to find to go down there! Some band you might not have been even thinking about and there's a show! Unfortunately I got into it with a couple of the mods when they wouldn't let me post DVDA images for surround stuff and I just never looked back (back before everyone could just play flac files and people were navigating hardware players).

I have a few emails from Y. I'll email out a link when I finish Hollywood Bowl if there's no 'official' place to torrent yet.

Hoping to see this place or someplace take off though!

Comment

Yeah, I don’t think this site is going to be able to keep the community alive and thriving without a tracker. People came to Y! for the good music and stayed for the conversation, not vice versa. A forum that is a frontend to another forum (both requiring registration) does not seem like the strategy for success.

A tracker was at Y! for 17 years, why wouldn’t one be possible here?

Comment

I do hope that we do have a tracker here in time as TTD (and Dime for that matter) don't allow certain artists, whilst Y! did. In my case that was Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson. I know G101 does have some PT/SW but some of the platforms that people use (FF, Rapid, etc) only allow 1 download per hour or per 2 hour and they are winzips that then have to be unzipped. Even mega and We Transfer have data limits, so for me, torrents are far more convenient.

I appreciate that people have worked damned hard to get this site up and running in a very short time, so I don't expect anything yet, but I do hope that it comes about in time.

Comment

Originally posted by moon View Post
                          Yeah, I don’t think this site is going to be able to keep the community alive and thriving without a tracker. People came to Y! for the good music and stayed for the conversation, not vice versa. A forum that is a frontend to another forum (both requiring registration) does not seem like the strategy for success.

A tracker was at Y! for 17 years, why wouldn’t one be possible here?
                          Remember that the torrents at Y! were private and linked to that site. Regardless of whether they are tracked here or on TTD, they will all need to be reseeded. Tracking them here doesn’t save much time.

While adding a new tracker here is technically possible, the person who took the lead on building this new site doesn’t want the legal risk of hosting torrents here. Anyone else is free to make their own tracker/site (and assume the risk).

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post

Remember that the torrents at Y! were private and linked to that site. Regardless of whether they are tracked here or on TTD, they will all need to be reseeded. Tracking them here doesn’t save much time.

While adding a new tracker here is technically possible, the person who took the lead on building this new site doesn’t want the legal risk of hosting torrents here. Anyone else is free to make their own tracker/site (and assume the risk).
                            Agreed. Very few of us here have any idea what the day to day of hosting a torrent site was like for TJ.

Someone would have to deal with the legal side of things in that regard and I wouldn't blame the current runners of this site in the slightest if they didn't want to deal with that.

I say this as someone who still holds out hope that we can have our own setup some day.

Comment

Working...
                            X