Taper DaveLick has passed away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taper DaveLick has passed away

I'm sorry to report that prolific taper David Lichtenfeld, aka DaveLick, has unexpectedly passed away. He'd had some mobility issues over the last few years due to back and/or knee problems, but I hadn't been aware of anything that serious, so I was floored when I saw his son's announcement on Facebook. He was out and about as recently as December 2023, posting photos from shows. A few memories as they come to mind: I first made his acquaintance in 2016 via Dime as it seemed we were attending many of the same shows in the Phoenix area. When taping, he usually bought seats between rows 5 and 8 for best sound, even if closer seats were available. He was an accomplished bassist and had his own fusion band for years. He was a big King Crimson fan, and of 4+ tapers running at the Scottsdale show on 8-7-21, his turned out the best. He and I met up along with another taper Extrapail, and posed for a photo that night before that show. I'll include a cropped version of that photo here. He obtained many of the Crimson 2021 tour recordings and forwarded them to me without my even asking. I eventually uploaded a matrix of my recording and his. We did several collaborations, including California Guitar Trio & Montreal Guitar Trio, and a couple of Steven Wilson shows. At the 2016 SW show, my recorder shut down late in the show due to battery failure. During the same tune, somebody bumped into Dave and his shut down momentarily. When I put together the matrix later, I discovered that we had the whole tune, Harmony Korine,in three fragments between the two recorders, so I was able to re-assemble it. It was an adventure, but we got the whole show somehow. At the next SW show, the opening act Ninet Tayeb started 15 minutes earlier than the scheduled time while I was still walking in, and I had to scramble to get rolling. I missed the first minute or so. Dave was already in place and rolling and caught the whole thing. He was always ready, it seemed. He coordinated the trading of a lot of audio and passed it along to interested parties. He was responsible, directly or indirectly, for a lot of music that ended up on Yeeshkul.

The last time I saw him in person was the Saucerful of Secrets show on 10-22-22. I uploaded my version, and Extrapail uploaded his. Dave sent me his (as usual, the best of the bunch), but I don't think it was ever uploaded. For awhile, I've been intending to do a matrix of recording of his and mine, but I never got around to it. I recently bought a new PC and still need to figure out the newer versions of the apps on Creative Cloud, but maybe it's time to get on it. RIP, Dave.

Rest in peace Dave. Where would we be without the beautiful tapers.

Comment

Wonderful photo! Bless ya Dave never met you... wonderful smile...never would have thought you were rolling the tapes if I looked around the crowd(!)

Comment

Rest in peace Dave.

Comment

Working...
        X