Jim Ladd Is Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim Ladd Is Gone

Jim Ladd Passed on December 17, You may remember him on the Radio KAOS album and tour, and he interviewed Roger and the other members of Pink Floyd over the many years.
    He is the last of the DJs playing “Underground” music on US FM stations. The FM band were little used at the time and many were turned over to these long haired guys to keep the licenses active in the US which created something called Album Oriented Rock Radio, and Free Forum Rock radio.
    Sad news indeed.😩

SiriusXM "Deep Tracks" host Jim Ladd, the inspiration for the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers song "The Last DJ," died on the evening of Dec. 17 at the age of 75. The cause of death is as yet undetermined.
    Ladd’s legendary career as a freeform rock DJ and producer began in 1969 at Los Angeles' KNAC before moving to 95.5 KLOS in 1971. After four years, he joined KMET in 1975 for nine years, eight of which he enjoyed No. 1 ratings in his time slot. During that time, Ladd created, hosted and produced the nationally syndicated show, Innerview, a first of its kind radio program airing on over 160 radio stations. For 12 years, Ladd interviewed and shone a spotlight on the cream of the crop of artists, including John Lennon, Pink Floyd, U2, Joni Mitchell, Stevie Nicks, the Eagles, Led Zeppelin and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.
    In 2003, Petty explained the meaning of the song “The Last DJ,” off the album of the same name, telling journalist Jim DeRogatis that it’s “about a DJ who becomes so frustrated with his inability to play what he wants that he moves to Mexico and gets his freedom back."
    Pink Floyd’s Roger Waters was inspired by Ladd’s work and asked him to be involved in 1987’s Radio K.A.O.S. where he played himself as a rebel DJ. Ladd also joined Waters on the album’s highly touted world tour and starred in all three MTV music videos.
    In 1989 Ladd played a semi-autobiographical role in Cameron Crowe’s Say Anything. His voice made other film appearances in the movies Tequila Sunrise, Rush, She’s Out of Control and Defendor.
    In June of 1991 Ladd published his first book, Radio Waves: Life and Revolution on the FM Dial, through St. Martin’s Press.
    Ladd also hosted a television show, The Extremists, focused on the world of extreme sports. This was followed by the nationally syndicated Headsets, which he first created in 1974.
    Ladd rejoined KLOS in 1997, where he spent the next 14 years. During this time, he was selected as the Air Personality of the Year in 2000 by The Los Angeles Music Awards.
    He was honored with a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on May 6, 2005 for his lifelong dedication and contributions to entertainment. The Hollywood Arts Council celebrated Ladd’s accomplishments two years later with the Media Arts Award. He joined SiriusXM in 2011.
    Ladd is survived by his wife, writer, poet and musician Helene Hodge-Ladd.

As I said in the other thread, it's absolutely tragic. He interviewed countless legends of Rock and Roll, like our boys in PF. He also did a documentary thingy for The Doors, where he interviewed them around 1979 I think. Rest in Peace, Jim...

Comment

As a lifelong east coaster, I never heard Jim Ladd beyond what he did on Radio KAOS (definitely not my favorite album). I read his bio but still don’t get what made him so great or special. Lots of DJs have interviewed musicians. Not trying to troll here, but can someone explain what I’m missing?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post
        As a lifelong east coaster, I never heard Jim Ladd beyond what he did on Radio KAOS (definitely not my favorite album). I read his bio but still don’t get what made him so great or special. Lots of DJs have interviewed musicians. Not trying to troll here, but can someone explain what I’m missing?
        Since you're on the east coast, I'm assuming you've heard of Eddie Trunk? He was the 70s-90s version of Eddie, just more straight up rock based vs metal/hard rock. He was a big supporter of The Doors and obviously Pink Floyd/Roger among others. I only heard about him on KAOS as well and then later with his show on SiriusXM. (Someone else can speak to his early DJ years in California) Yeah, he chased and enjoyed his own celebrity, rubbed elbows with the stars but he also supported and loved music, particularly the multitude of West Coast bands and performers. Immortalized by Tom Petty on his "Last DJ" album, he was one of the few DJs that still programed their own songs versus the now industry standard of the central office doing it. He was that large music-related personality that you don't see or hear much anymore, kind of a successor to Wolfman Jack, Alan Freed, Cousin Brucie, etc.

Listening to his show, I didn't care for his politics BUT I did hear a lot of music that I had never heard before (growing up in the Midwest on AM radio). It lead me to digging into more back catalogs of many artists for songs that weren't ever played on the radio. Genesis "Home By The Sea" or Dire Straits "Down to the Waterline & Once Upon a Time in the West" - had never heard them before even though they're really not the deepest of cuts. Great songs that probably could have/ should have been hits but you're not going to hear them on the vast majority of US AM/FM radio stations. Without his program, I would have never gotten into a lot of bands.

RIP Jim Ladd.
        What's great about America is that everybody has an opinion.... But what's also great, you don't have to listen to 'em. - Dennis Green

PF - April 18, 1988, Denver
        PF - June 22, 1994, Minneapolis
        Rog - July 16, 2017, Atlanta (Taped)
        Rog - Aug 20, 2022, Atlanta (Taped)
        Nick - March 29, 2019, Atlanta (Taped)

Comment

Back in the day you could tune into an FM station and hear new and Great music...Zappa, Zeppelin, Neil Young, Yes, King Crimson and of course Pink Floyd.
          You could hear a full album side, especially if they had to go to the bathroom since they were flying solo
          Long before someone coined the term “Classic Rock”

Minneapolis had KQRS, Little Rock had an AM station KAAY with Clyde Clifford and Chicago had WXRT and of course the LA stations Jim Ladd was on, He once said he was fired from every good station in LA

Listening to his last show on XM now..

Comment

• MrFender
            MrFender commented
            Editing a comment
            WXRT was great, so many live shows from the 80s are from their broadcasts. Back in the 70s/80s, lots of radio stations would broadcast live shows and then they all suddenly stopped doing them. Seems like most George Thorogood shows available from the late 70s are FM broadcasts, lots of Tom Petty as well. Really sucks they went away from that.

Originally posted by DaveTheRave View Post
          I first became aware of Jim Ladd through his excellent Innerview series, particularly with Waters and Gilmour in the early 80s and specifically hunted down any available. His interviews always appeared well-researched and conveyed an extensive knowledge of his subject matter, which made his interviews so worthwhile listening to; they were lengthy and in-depth. With other interviewers Waters would perhaps be more on his guard but as he got to know Jim you sensed he was opening up more and offering more serious answers than elsewhere. Where else were you going to hear an hour long interview with Waters discussing The Final Cut? No 'how did you get your band name' type questions here.

Being in the UK I never heard any of his regular shows but from my limited knowledge, and what I read above, it sounds like he would belong in the same league as John Peel or Tommy Vance, both of whom were also wholly dedicated to playing and supporting the music they loved.

RIP Jim

Comment

Mr. Waters.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	tFXWv5XSo9xtVyVCS8TeiZ-970-80.jpg.webp
Views:	315
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	363362

Roger Waters and Peter Frampton have paid tribute to broadcaster Jim Ladd, whose death from a heart attack at the age of 75 was announced on Monday by Meg Griffin, an on-air colleague at Sirius XM.

“He never stopped caring,” Griffin told listeners. “He delivered the truth. He lived for the music, and I am blessed to have worked with him."
            Ladd, one of the last remaining music DJs on mainstream US radio with the freedom to choose their own playlist, was the inspiration for the title track of Tom Petty's 2002 The Last DJ album, and the voice of the fictional disc jockey DJ Jim on Roger Waters' 1987 album Radio K.A.O.S.

Waters has paid tribute to Ladd, but also used the opportunity to take potshots at his bosses at SiriusXM, who last month reduced Ladd's schedule on the Deep Tracks channel – one that plays less frequently heard album tracks from classic bands – from a daily broadcast to a single weekly show.

"I just watched an interview I did with Jim in 1984," Waters writes on YouTube. "Fuck he was good, and so was Stewy my cocker spaniel. Jim suffered a setback at work recently. SiriusXM, for whom he worked, cut him from six Deep Tracks shows a week to one. Thank you Scott Greenstein [president and chief content officer of Sirius XM], and if it wasn’t you, you should have stopped who ever it was.

"I believe Jim was fired, partly at least, because of me. Against the company’s better judgment Jim had interviewed me on Deep Tracks, and our conversation had veered too close to the sacred cow, Israel, and it’s subjugation of the Palestinians.

"I loved Jim and he loved me. I got him the job at Sirius when the meat grinder that is modern LA finally closed its door on his legendary career at KMET and KLOS. Jim was a revolutionary. Jim Ladd believed in the power of love. Jim Ladd believed in telling the truth, Jim Ladd believed in human rights, Jim Ladd believed in Freeform Radio."

Waters goes on to say that he and Ladd had been in discussion about setting up a new radio station in 2024, Radio KAOS FM.

Peter Frampton has also paid tribute to Ladd, saying, "Our entire family are so saddened to hear of the passing of Jim Ladd. He was our good friend, always a champion of great music. A special man with a huge passion for music. Our thoughts are with his wife, Helene and family. Love you Jim."

A post on the official Facebook page of the late Tom Petty read, "Tom respected and admired Jim Ladd and considered him a friend. He inspired the song The Last DJ and his insights into rock and roll were priceless. Jim’s voice will be missed on the airwaves. Our family joins his in mourning his loss."

Ladd first came to national attention hosting the nationally syndicated show Innerview at KMET in Los Angeles. The show aired weekly on more than 160 stations from the 70s to the late 90s, with Ladd interviewing the likes of Led Zeppelin, John Lennon, Aerosmith and Rush. He interviewed Rogers Waters about Pink Floyd's The Wall album in February 1980.

Comment

Roger's theory about why Jim Ladd was suddenly (almost entirely) dropped from Sirius XM is actually plausible if you're familiar with the politics of radio in the United States. Stuff like that does genuinely happen a lot in this country. I don't know what kind of contract Jim signed but I would not be surprised one bit if it included a clause that allowed them to do that kind of shit for no reason. And it's not like you can fight that, either.
              Picture a courthouse with no fucking laws!
              Picture a cathouse with no fucking whores!
              Picture a shithouse with no fucking drains!
              Picture a leader with no fucking brains!

Comment

KAOS was the big gig I ever saw as a teenager. A legend indeed.

Comment

I was very sad to hear the news. I'd not heard of him before Radio KAOS, myself not being from the west coast. But knowing now about his history, I get it.

Accolades from such great musicians above & the remaining Doors say it all. RIP.

Modern canned conglomerate radio sucks, compared to what FM was back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by umma gumma View Post
                    Modern canned conglomerate radio sucks, compared to what FM was back in the day.
                    As many people have said, there will never be someone like Jim Ladd again. A one of a kind champion of good "ol' rock and roll". His passing is STILL so damn tragic..

Comment

Originally posted by daemonspudguy View Post
                      Roger's theory about why Jim Ladd was suddenly (almost entirely) dropped from Sirius XM is actually plausible if you're familiar with the politics of radio in the United States. Stuff like that does genuinely happen a lot in this country. I don't know what kind of contract Jim signed but I would not be surprised one bit if it included a clause that allowed them to do that kind of shit for no reason. And it's not like you can fight that, either.
                      I was surprised by Roger’s reference to Sirius and Deep Tracks. For some reason I picture him totally aloof to big corporate radio although they do have some cool channels.

Comment

Working...
                      X