Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Embryo - Unreleased re-imagined Album (1970)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Embryo - Unreleased re-imagined Album (1970)

Maybe this is an old chestnut and it's only me who missed it...
    But I stumpled across this one today and it was new to me and I thought it could be of interest for some of you...

Neat concept, but a few seconds in I'm already put off by the inclusion of a cover / tribute band rather than authentic Pink Floyd. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew4D0dKNspE
    The first few transitions are pretty rough around the edges.

Comment

Thank You Very Much

Comment

I saw this a few months ago (I thought someone on here mentioned it). I thought it was pretty good and I've actually blended the band-only version of AHM from TEY (suitably edited) into the middle of it all. That gives me one hour of 'ambient Pink Floyd-type' music to relax to. For that purpose, it doesn't bother me that it's not 100% PF, it just sounds good, especially in the car.

Edit - the guy who created it and put it on YouTube is a member here. I think it might have been him who posted about it.
        Last edited by Simond; 02-12-2024, 05:20 PM.

Comment

I’ve spoken about this before, but I’ve done the same for Saucerful -> AHM with b sides, live tracks, alt takes, soundtrack work, etc. My version of AHM adds in various Zabriskie Point tracks, BBC session stuffs/live versions, and other items into it. I highly suggest this, it gives a more complete and 3D view to Floyd’s music.
          Favorite Bootlegs: Santa Monica - 5/1/1970, Brescia - 06/19/1971, Los Angeles - 09/22/1972, Boston - 06/18/1975, NYC - 07/02/1977

Comment

• TheGreenStrat
            TheGreenStrat commented
            Editing a comment
            Basically what I did for Floyd's albums 68-70 was create my own versions of the albums where I removed and put in songs that I felt improved the flow, or had better versions, or just because I felt like mucking about with the track listing i.e. my version of Ummagumma has the live tracks broken up throughout the record instead of all on one side. It's purely just for fun but also goes to show how much material Floyd worked with in the first half of their careers.

• Rupert Pupkin
            Rupert Pupkin commented
            Editing a comment
            well, the Early Years "band only version" of Atom Heart Mother was one of the best studio stuff they release; I think that's basically the basic-track but with extra-drum fills (you can really enjoy Nick Mason's goin' at); they probably did some edits here and there to make the brass and orchestra working with the final take but they kind of loose the spontaneity and energy of the studio performance (which I have always been a fan because of Nick's drumming)

do you have a blog or something like that ? is there a way you could please share privately your stuff in FLAC/lossless ? Please send me a private message that would be great!

• TheGreenStrat
            TheGreenStrat commented
            Editing a comment
            It wasn't until I found the 4.0 Quad fold down stereo mix of AHM that I really liked the title track. The 4.0 mix greatly centers and enhances the drums over the original studio version and of course the early version and various live versions are excellent as well.

Creamcheese, is it your work ? I remember this great MQR release (at that time there was no AI to remove easily vocals, etc...) with the great version of "Cymbaline" using the Amsterdam '69 show with the studio version.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
            Creamcheese, is it your work ? I remember this great MQR release (at that time there was no AI to remove easily vocals, etc...) with the great version of "Cymbaline" using the Amsterdam '69 show with the studio version.
            Honestly: No!
            Be sure I would have told if I had something to with this.
            The spooky thing about it all is, that I came across this coincidently while having some other AHM related project in the can.
            Unfortunately that project refuses to get finished...

Thank you for appreciating that work of mine you mentioned.
            It's been a long time since...
            Last edited by creamcheese; 02-12-2024, 10:25 PM.

Comment

yeah I know, it was like 10 years ago now perhaps ? but it was a great CD... There are a lot of initiative in the Beatles-fan world creating such mashup/fan-mixes since decades, thus I was more than happy to listen to this great CD. All the MQR releases are on my shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by jmr View Post
                Neat concept, but a few seconds in I'm already put off by the inclusion of a cover / tribute band rather than authentic Pink Floyd.
                When I first heard this awhile back, I was telling myself this has to be the straightest, two dimensional playing by Nick ever. I did some digging in the comments and found out its mixed with a cover band. Definitely not for me, I'll stick with the three dimensional, over the bar lines and fluctuating BPM, Pink Floyd always.

Comment

Listening to it I immediately noticed, that this can't be Nick on the drums and that this can't be Dave on guitar.
                  Nevertheless I am delighted to know there could be PF cover bands out there who play Embryo.
                  Most of those basically have the PULSE playlist in their repertoire and try to please (or appease) audiences with an attempt in playing Echoes and some Animals stuff...
                  That's why I moved over to avoiding attending concerts of this kind of bands...
                  Ignoring the details it's still a nice idea, I think, although an alternative 1970 PF album would never have looked or sounded this way...

The fact that this one used cover band content lit my fire of ambition. So I sat down yesterday and played with UVR.
                  I managed to separate vocal, guitar, organ, bass and drum stems from Embryo 1970-07-16 (which is glorious mono) quite neatly.
                  I even managed to separate Dave's and Rick's voices quite cleanly, thus I was able to make a basically convincing raw stereo mix of that track.
                  Still nothing to be presented to a wider public, but this seems to underline, that things like the Beatles' Remix of 1966's Revolver is nothing that's only possible at Abbey Road Studios with Giles Martin on the knobs in front of a huge staff of studio engineers...
                  And this seems to prove that there might be options to create re-imagined albums exclusively from original sources in the near future.
                  The bright side of AI and deep neural networks. I'd wish everybody would use AI only to obviously entertain others. Or doing other useful things with it...

I'd love to listen to an alternative B-Side of AHM containing an authentic fake-studio rendition of a birmingham-style Violent Sequence. Mine from back then was nothing more than a humble try...
                  Last edited by creamcheese; 02-13-2024, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Creamcheese I would have highly interested if you do a sequel to Pink Floyd - Yet Another Lost Album - MQR-009; this set has almost a decade now (time has passed so quickly) but I still enjoy it.
                    Now, the A.I tools "thing" is great to isolate voice or instruments (audio artefacts are less discernable that at the beginning).
                    The best Violen(t)/ce Sequence I've heard is on JFE Matrix of Théâtre des Champs Elysées (his VIP mix).
                    I hope that one day Birmingham would have a transfer as good as the Sheffield show (which as an incredible good sound quality now and become one of my favorite 70 show with the Philly show).

Could it be possible to do a great sounding "headvoice" version (that's my favorite version; Gilmour's voice is incredible) of "Cymbaline" form the soundtrack "More" (using the BFI Blu-Ray audio) to get a round/warm studio version without all the dialogue ? Since B.Shroeber used a mono track and mix the Floyd like a "nouvelle vague" movie it's certainly is still tricky and a challenge.

something also nice : using the backing track - band only of the work-in-progress/rough mix of Atom Heart Mother with Nick Mason great extra fills and adding the Baby Steinway piano played by Rick Wright during the end of the song (it's possible to isolate it using the quad mix which is on the Early Years box set).

Oh, and yesterday I found a CD-R with just written on a post-it (great show!) : set-list is Corrosion, The Embryo, Fat Old Sun, Atom Heart Mother and A Saucerful Of Secrets; at the beginning of Corrosion (which sounds almost like the TV French show with Nick Mason torturing a grand piano) Roger Waters says something nice about "her majesty (The Queen) (not as nice as Paul in the Abbey Road medley). What gig could it be ? is there a better gen which surfaced ? This show has so much potential and sounds already damned good that a tape closer to the master would sounds like a winner!

Comment

• Elisto54
                      Elisto54 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      According to the setlist it must be 1970-11-28 Saarbrücken...

• Rupert Pupkin
                      Rupert Pupkin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      cool.... is there an upgrade of this show ? where I could find it here ? I dream of a JFE matrix now... The SQ is already excellent and it has Corrosion!
                      It's odd that Roger is doing a rant about the Queen just before "Corrosion"... I thought it was a UK gig...

i stumbled upon this one morning and it became my morning ritual to listen to this as i was getting ready for work!

Comment

Is there an active torrent for the Säabrucken 1970 show ? I found it there but it's the Y! active; no seeds.

https://ravinganddrooling.com/forum/...4341-/page6​

Comment

Working...
                    X