Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fanedit of Frank Zappa's Baby Snakes - Concert Cut (122 Minutes, Restored Audio/Video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fanedit of Frank Zappa's Baby Snakes - Concert Cut (122 Minutes, Restored Audio/Video)

Hey fellow Zappa fans!

I’ve spent a lot of time working on a fanedit of Baby Snakes that focuses entirely on the live concert footage. The original movie had a lot of cuts and interruptions, so I’ve put together a 122-minute version that restores full performances wherever possible. I also synced the film with the Halloween 77 box set audio, which sounds way better than the original DVD track.

The video was upscaled to 2160p after addressing various issues like compression artifacts, edge enhancements, and crushed black levels. It’s not perfect, but it’s a solid improvement over the original DVD, and definitely worth a watch if you’re into Zappa's live shows!

If you’re interested, feel free to DM me, and I’ll share the link!

-----------------------------------

About This Fanedit:

This fan edit of Frank Zappa's Baby Snakes focuses entirely on the live concert portion of the original film, trimming away animations, backstage footage, and interruptions to present a more cohesive and uninterrupted concert experience. At 122 minutes long, this version restores the concert's flow and brings the full musical performances to the forefront, creating a more immersive and engaging experience for Zappa fans.

The original film often cuts or splits live songs, leaving some tracks incomplete. My goal was to restore the full performances wherever possible, and in some cases, reconstruct the concert to match the original setlist flow. I used the newly remixed, high-quality audio from the Halloween 77 box set, syncing it with the film’s visuals to replace the lower-bitrate AC3 audio found on the DVD. Extensive audio work was required, as many parts of the original film were overdubbed or edited in a way that disrupted the music. The result is a far more polished and authentic sound.

I hope this edit provides a fresh way to experience Baby Snakes, focusing solely on the incredible live performance from Zappa and his band during their legendary 1977 Halloween run. Enjoy the show!

-----------------------------------

Key Restoration Highlights:
    • Wherever possible, songs are restored to their full versions, including "I Have Been In You," "Pound For A Brown," and "Conehead," which were only partially included in the original film. While a significant portion of the concert remains missing, these tracks have been carefully reconstructed to provide the most authentic and uninterrupted performances available from the existing footage.
    • While I aimed to present the songs in their original running order, it's important to note that the band did not play the same setlist every night. As a result, this edit is an approximation of the full concert experience. It also combines split performances, such as "King Kong," into a single, continuous track for a more cohesive listening experience.
    • The audio in this fan edit is based on the Halloween 77 box set's modern stereo remixes, which are free of the overdubs that marred the original film's audio. I painstakingly synced these remixes to the film, using the original mixes as a guide. Where footage was missing, creative solutions were used, such as filling gaps with backstage shots or Bruce Bickford’s animations to maintain visual continuity.
Working...
X